Thursday, October 14, 2004

National Coming Out Day

I started these blogs last month because it helps me to live as a gay man. It helps me to evaluate my life, my experiences, my aspirations.
It isn't easy being gay. But we are gay men. We face shit everyday that doesn't see fair.
Life has been better for us because we are out. But how to do it, and to what extent, is an individual choice. Whatever you decide, make dam sure that you come out to yourself first and foremost. You need to be comfortable inside your skin before you let others in. Once you can accept yourself as gay and be happy with it, the hardest part is behind you.
Once you join the tribe, you make the shots. It is a different world, juggling the straight world with the gay world. Be yourself. You will find acceptance when it is important. Not all will accept you. You have to be able to live with that. Just make sure that you are comfortable being who you are, not what you think others want you to be.
You have choices. Coming out to family, friends, co-workers, it all depends on you and your situation. It is always a tough decision. No two ways of coming out are ever the same.
But coming out is the best decision you will ever make as a gay man. There is a support group.
By reading this blog, you already have found someone who knows what it is like to live openly and proud. If you ever need someone to talk to as a sounding board, please let me know.
A lot of us have had to go through it. Mine was somewhat difficult, but if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't hesitate. I am a happy gay man who wants to share his experiences with other gay men, open or about to come out. It is the right thing to do. Living a lie hurts everyone, especially yourself. You are a great guy. Come out. You've got plenty of company.

No comments: