Tuesday, November 23, 2004

A Dad's Demeanor. . . A Daddies' Devotion

This time of year for me is one of reflection.

We find nature going through changes, a change from production to rest.

I can remember my own dad guiding me, through what I considered to be a life or death challenge, to make my own decisions. His direction was always considerate of my feelings. However I had to live with my decisions and face whatever consequences evolved.

I look back now at how much he said without ever saying anything. I admired him for that. His advice was never dictorial, never harsh. It was even balanced and remarkably on target.

In our role as top men, we too are in a position of leadership. We are required to make decisions that determine committment, sexual pleasure, and toleration. It is a role that we should not take lightly.

When you've found your life partner, you accept the whole man, the whole committment. It's not half ass, picking and choosing; it's the whole shebang.

The only way I've found to make this work is devotion. Daddies need to provide stability in the relationship. They must gently guide and think about the "we". Self serving motivation is not part of a daddies' demeanor, unless it benefits both men.

We can all learn from our dads as we evolve as daddies. Be the best daddy you can be, and everything else will fall into place.

No comments: